Reflections on Social Learning Theory

"The thing always happens that you believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen" - Frank Lloyd Wright

Personal beliefs about capabilities
I've always considered Math as my waterloo. I guess, the influences (environment) around me, dictated this while I was growing up, this view that I absorbed so well into my system. I remember struggling in grade school up to high school. However, my views have changed in Math, after learning about the Growth Mindset and now with self-efficacy of the Social Learning Theory. Helping my children with their assignments, I am now inclined to say that I suddenly understand Math. It's weird. I know. Had I changed my mindset and view of Math earlier, I would not have had a difficult time learning it.

Factors that facilitate behavior
Raising a family of readers is no easy task, I have both exposed my children to tons of books appropriate to their age. I demonstrate my love for reading by displaying books all around the house, I model it by showing them that I read books myself, I set a routine of reading time before going to sleep, there is repetition, and a reward system for good deeds to get new books. I think my tactics are working for them to acquire the good behavior of loving reading and eventually being able to write.

Social learning to conserve our traditions
Albert Bandura proposed social learning theory which suggests that observation and modelling play a primary role in the learning process, can help conserve Filipino traditions or customs. Examples of these are practicing the "po and opo", so that this sign of respect can still be passed on from generation to generation; celebrating family reunions during Christmas, birthdays, fiestas, weddings, graduations and even on all Saint's day; being hospitable in general; and passing on different Filipino cuisine like Adobo, Afritada, and Kare-kare.

Media and technology in the context of social learning
Technology and media should play a positive role in influencing its viewers. Whether through social media, T.V., or radio these should be vehicles for promoting good behavior and instilling virtues and values which can turn its citizens to progressive and nationalistic individuals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental health matters

Breaking the status quo

Leaving and learning