Dreaming of assessments

(Module 5 - EDS 113) This morning, I woke up remembering a vivid dream I had. I was taking a Nat Sci assessment without a test paper, the questions were being flashed on the screen of this big auditorium. I had to write the answers on a piece of bond paper. I then asked the proctor if it was just a diagnostic test or not because I didn't know the answers! That was when I woke up chuckling to myself--- EDS 113's assessments topic is creeping inside my head! Subconsciously, I seem to be applying our learnings even while I am sleeping.

Looking back, I always remembered feeling queasy whether or not assessments took the form of traditional or non-traditional setup. Maybe because I viewed them all as summative assessments that gauged or ranked me in someway against my classmates through grades and appraisals. There was this self-inflicted pressure in me to be on my toes and do good at these assessments. I obsessively wrote down all the tests, quizzes, exams, and projects in my planner so that I would not forget them (up to this day, I'm afraid!). I studied by memorizing my notes and making a reviewer for myself. The shift in formative assessments of education became apparent to me through my son's school. I was grateful that these tools helped my son to actually learn. As a student myself back then, I remember preferring actual tasks like projects, reports, performances, exhibits, or portfolios--maybe because through these activities I got to demonstrate my creativity, resourcefulness, communication and collaboration skills. I remember there were times that pen and paper objective-type tests sucked the life out of me because of it being mechanical. However, I know the importance of remembering facts, both knowledge and skills are of course valuable. Imagine knowing how to physically drive a car, but being clueless about traffic signs, rules, regulations, and etiquettes. Hence, traditional and non-traditional test are both important, but like all things in life I deem that there should be a balance. This way the students get to practice both theoretical and practical knowledge, skills, and competences.

I rarely have summative assessment in my Art class. Normally the students have to either create or craft art stuffs using whatever tools they have at home, now that we are on online distance learning. Through our EDS 113 topic, I learned that I am already applying a form of formative assessment. At the end of each session, I usually ask my students what they learned in class. This gives me an idea if they understood our discussion or if there are points that I still need to elaborate on. It's very helpful for me, it gives me a chance to edit my presentation, so that I can better explain abstract ideas. Through my research, I came across such a thing as an Artist's statement. It may take the form of a log, journal, or essay. It can be written or oral (recorded) in format. Students are expected to demonstrate an understanding of artistic thinking and artistic practice. To exhibit mastery of visual arts, the selected work and artist statement must both follow these expectations:

  • Technique: What is the evidence that the student has command of the craft of the artistic discipline?
  • Process: What is the evidence that the student is envisioning, exploring, and persisting with an aesthetic idea?
  • Point of view: What is the evidence that the student is constructing and making a work of art with personal meaning and intent?
  • Context and connections: What is the evidence that the student understands the connections of the work of art to artistic and cultural traditions (contemporary and/or historical)?
  • Reflection: What is the evidence that the student understands how to question, discuss, and judge one's own work? (Lenz & Wells. 2015)
I am still thinking how to translate it in such a way that grade school students can easily understand it. I am worried it may threaten them instead of enjoying the whole process of the learning activity. 
Through this module, I am inspired to keep on improving my assessments and its alignment with the objectives and learning outcomes of my lessons. I aim to continuously develop and create a balance in making use of the different assessments in enhancing student learning. I am grateful that I learned these things in this module, I am more aware now of the importance of assessments. They exist not only in assigning grades, but essentially as tools of learning, checking if methodologies are working, and helps both instructors and students to be mindful and employ reflection in the teaching-learning process.

Resources:
  • Photos are from Freepik using my premium account.
  • Lenz, B. with Wells, J. and Kingston S., (2015). Transforming Schools. Published by Jossey-Bass, A Wiley Brand. San Francisco, CA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental health matters

Breaking the status quo

Leaving and learning