Good feedback

(Module 7 - EDS 113) Assessments are of great importance in order to provide comments and incentive to the learners. This is very crucial especially in my Art subject. I assign a number of performance tasks for students, not only to gauge their learning, but also to give feedback that students can understand and use to improve. Putting grades to artworks prove to be difficult, especially without the guide of a rubric. I find that feedback is more valuable and useful to my learners than a mere numeric or letter-grade could ever do.

In reading and researching about module seven, I learned a bunch of points that I can apply this coming school year to give good feedback. I would like to share some here.

Perhaps there are times that students misbehave in class. Unable to keep still and listen or creating a ruckus to catch the teacher's attention. Upon checking their tasks, educators may have a tendency to get back at the students by giving them negative comments about their work. Feedback have to be descriptive and not judgmental. Educators should make it a point to describe the work and not the student. Descriptive adjectives are useful than giving disapproving comments. In order to give good feedback, teachers should not take their students' behavior personally. Of course, their developmental level should be taken into consideration.

There are times that instructors give vague and general feedback, which students may not be able to decipher. Using very specific vocabulary are more practical, so students can employ them in their works. Good feedback also informs students of their next steps. It should suggest certain strategies that the learner can use to reach their learning goals.

I am very much excited for this coming school year. I feel like I am much more prepared in my calling as an educator. Applying a growth mindset and persisting through the challenges this term has equipped me to face my classes to the benefit of the learners.

*Photo from my premium Freepik account.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental health matters

Breaking the status quo

Leaving and learning