Role models

Who I am today is a combination of the influences I have been exposed to over the years. Having positive role models and mentors is crucial in making or breaking a person. I am fortunate to have been in the company of people who have encouraged me to be the best that I could be. I will not be where I am today if not for them.



The type of role model I want to be for others:
1. Model of excellence
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
I know that I am not perfect, but I would like to be able to show my students that one can strive for excellence. To do something to the best of one's ability.
2. Trustworthy -
I'd like to be an educator who is not only trustworthy, but has integrity. It's one of the most important values I'd like to be able to model.
3. Inspiring -
"Good teachers teach, great teachers inspire" - William Arthur Ward
I'd like my students to learn and be inspired by my lessons. I pray that they can think out-of-the-box and start churning out creative works. 
4. Motivating, encouraging, and nurturing -
I would like to be an educator who is motivating, encouraging, and nurturing. I believe these are the traits students need in order to drive them to study. If they see that their teachers are really concerned about their well-being and would like to see their progress, then they will definitely be propelled to learn.
5. Persevering and brave
"Permanence, perseverance, and persistence in spite of obstacles, discouragement, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak." - Thomas Carlyle
Life is not easy, the earlier that the students know this, the better. By modelling perseverance, persistence and bravery, despite the road blocks that come one's way, will help them be ready. Showing them how to overcome challenges can arm them with the tools that they will need in facing difficulties that are bound to come their way.

Incorporating models and mentors in my profession
To incorporate models and mentors in my profession, I was thinking of inviting speakers and practitioners of the arts to give inspiring and motivational talks to my students. 

My education mentor
My education mentor is a combination of qualities that I have seen in my colleagues. These are the following:

1. Using humor to make my class fun
2. Hardworking
3. Establish guidelines to manage classroom behavior
4. System of distributing art materials in face-to-face classes
5. Using a reward system to encourage them to do their best
6. Provide feedback for their improvement
7. Be positive and a good role model













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental health matters

Breaking the status quo

Leaving and learning