Breaking the status quo


(Final entry - EDS 113) Practicing teachers who choose to stick with the traditional state or process of education (assessments in particular) tend to do so maybe because they do not know better, they have been comfortable doing it the same way and are lazy to change, or they really think it is still the best way. I think I used to belong to the first group, the educators who do not know better. Undeniably, I was reluctant to go back to school and be a student again. Upon reflection, I realize that I need to keep on learning. I am so grateful to have embarked on this learning journey. It feels like I have been illuminated, enlightened with the new knowledge I have absorbed from these modules. In this regard, I would like to change the norm, mainly because now I know better. I plan to make good use of each part of the principles and assessment methods, peeling and husking away at all the concepts and ideas learned. Though being provided the information does not necessarily equate teachers making wise decisions right away, having access to these tools may lead practicing and prospective teachers to eventually employ them in the future.

As I have mentioned countless times in my previous posts (whether in this blog or in the TIDs), students should come to class physically and mentally prepared, like a soldier gearing up for war. In much the same way, teachers should also be ready for class. Before the start of the school year, teachers are given the time to construct and make ready their entire curriculum. The objectives, learning outcomes, KSAs (knowledge, attitudes, and skills), and learning experiences should align with the assessments. Planning is therefore crucial as instructors visualize the future and craft frameworks as a guide to reach their goal. This year, as our school "gears up" for online-learning 2.0. I pray that I can apply the ideas we soaked-in for the past four months. It's time to test the waters armed with all the knowledge, attitudes, and skills from this class. Equipped with all these tools that can aid me to start the change and cause a ripple effect that can break the assessment status quo.

*Photo c/o my Freepik premium account.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental health matters

Leaving and learning